Monday, February 20, 2012

Spring Rolls

 

Here are my yummy spring rolls.  The photo above shows the veggie version of the shrimp rolls I made the other night.  I used all my shrimp up last night with my delicious penne shrimp romano.  I'll do my best to make this simple...


Cook vermicelli rice noodles according to package.



Prepare all your ingredients.  Options include cooked shrimp, sliced chicken breast, matchstick or shredded carrots, sliced scallions, sliced avocados, lettuce leaves, sliced mango, sliced cucumber, or whatever else you want to get creative with.


Boil hot water in a skillet and turn off heat.  Have rice paper handy.  Now I'm left-handed, so you might want to situate yourself opposite of what I'm doing if you're right-handed.   I set everything up to make it easiest for me.

First, dip half of the rice paper into your pan of water for just a second or two.


Turn it around quickly and dip the other half so that the entire paper is wet. 


Lay the wet rice paper on a non-porous surface.  I used a plate.  Don't put on a chopping board!  You will now have less than a minute to add all of your ingredients and roll it up.  Any longer and your roll will get sticky and really messy to work with.

Start with the lettuce.


Next add the noodles.  Make sure they sit directly on top of the lettuce (unlike mine in this photo) because you want the noodles in the middle of your roll, not on the outside once it's rolled up.


Add your other ingredients, finishing with (in this order) mango, avocado, and shrimp (or chicken) on the top. 


Work from the bottom.  Pull the bottom up over the filling and roll once.  Notice how my noodles are showing through.  That's what you want to try not to do.  And see the pointy carrot trying to break through?  You want to avoid that as well.


Fold each side over the filling.


Finally, roll it all the way up.  Slice it in half.  Continue this process until you have enough rolls.  Don't forget to make extra as they last well in the frig for your lunch the next day.  Hope you enjoy them like we did!

Find my peanut sauce recipe here.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment