Saturday, March 10, 2012

Egg In A Hole

I learned this many years ago from a weekend in Jackson, Mississippi with Macy B.  He cooked these up one hungry morning and I've been making them ever since.  They're a fun and easy way to make breakfast a little bit different.  Hidden inside is a runny yellow without a runny white if done right. 

What you need:
  • As many eggs as you want
  • Just as many pieces of bread
  • Some butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste
 Directions:
1.  Butter one side of each piece of bread.


 2.  Make a whole in the center of each piece of bread with the rim of a small glass.  The rim should be about 2.5 inches in diameter.















3.  Let your skillet heat up at medium heat and add a dab of butter.  Lay your bread in butter side up.











4.  Crack an egg carefully into each hole.


5.  Move the edge of the spatula around in the bottom of the hole every minute or two in order to allow the white of the egg to cook faster.  Careful not to get too close to the yellow.






6.  When the egg looks about half cooked, flip it over.  Turn the heat down to low and let it cook another couple of minutes.











There you have it, eggs in a hole, running with yellow.


1 comment:

  1. That looks fantastic... wow. I stumbled upon your blog by accident (well, looking for things about writing...) and I had to stop and comment. Beautiful photography. :) And I've seen the eggs in toast thing before, but the way you present it looks way better than I've seen. I might have to try it myself now.

    ReplyDelete